Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
This delicious Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe is creamy, luscious and decadent, with a semi-sweet chocolate ice cream base and chocolate chunks. It’s a no churn Ice cream and it doesn’t have any egg yolks either!
How to make a No Churn Ice Cream
If this is your first time making homemade ice cream, you might think that is difficult and requires special equipment, but let me tell you, it’s one of the easiest desserts!
The best part about no Churn Ice cream is that there’s no need of an ice cream maker or ice cream machine to prepare it, which makes it super convenient and quick to make.
Its creamy texture is achieved by using sweetened condensed milk and whipped heavy cream instead, and the results are amazing! with a rich, soft and creamy ice cream base.
Ingredients needed to make this Chocolate Chip ice cream
These are pretty simple ingredients for such a delicious ice cream, found in any grocery store. Remember that high quality ingredients go a long way!
- Heavy Whipping cream. Will give the ice cream its soft texture
- Sweetened Condensed milk. Helps sweetening the ice cream and also with its texture
- Vanilla extract. Good quality, pure vanilla extract for better results!
- Salt. Enhances flavors
- Dutch Processed Unsweetened cocoa powder. Can also be swapped for normal cacao powder, but the results won’t be the same. Think of it as a milk chocolate ice cream base Vs. a dark chocolate base
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Bar or mini chocolate chips: The same case as with the cocoa powder, it can be swapped with milk chocolate instead, depending on your preferences.
- The first step would be making the whipped cream. Beat the heavy whipping cream over a large sized bowl until stiff peaks form. Then, add the condensed milk, vanilla extract, salt and sifted cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
2. Fold in the semisweet chocolate chips and distribute evenly
3. Pour over a freezer-safe container or any airtight container of your choice, and with the back of a spoon, create some texture on top. Then sprinkle with more chocolate if desired. Cover to avoid ice crystals and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Lastly, grab an ice cream bowl, then an ice cream scoop and scoop as much ice cream as your heart tells you to, drizzle with some melted chocolate or chocolate syrup, sprinkle with crushed chocolate chip cookies and some more chocolate chips on top of the ice cream, and enjoy the best homemade ice cream you’ll ever have!
Tips and Tricks for the perfect Homemade Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- For this Ice cream I used a semi-sweet chopped chocolate bar; I prefer the small pieces over the bigger ones from the chocolate chips. I cut them even smaller than the mini chocolate chips! You can also use a food processor instead, aiming for small pieces, not chocolate powder. Feel free to swap the semi-sweet chocolate for dark chocolate for a more intense chocolate flavor or for milk chocolate for a milder flavor instead.
- Freeze the whisk and metal bowl for 10 to 15 minutes before whipping the heavy cream, this will help accelerate the process. When the fat in the cream is cold while beating, it helps in making it light and airy, and it holds better its shape.
- Sometimes, cocoa powder comes lumpy, so make sure to sift it before adding it to the chocolate mixture to avoid lumps in your ice cream
- Air exposure to the ice cream can cause freezer burn. To avoid it, flatten a layer of plastic wrap, or parchment paper against the ice cream mixture before covering it
How long does Ice Cream last
This Ice Cream can last in the freezer for a very long time, but for better flavor and consistency, consume it within the first 2 weeks of making it; after that, crystals may form and texture could change.
Here’s a video of this Chocolate Chocolate Chip ice cream recipe so you can see up-close the consistency of this delicious ice cream!
Follow this link if you’re looking for more easy recipes for Ice Cream & Frozen treats, or you can find some of my best ice cream recipes in the links below.
Coffee Liqueur Brownie Ice Cream
No Churn Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
No Churn Banana Bourbon Ice Cream
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 Cups heavy whipping cream chilled
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup dutch processed Cocoa powder sifted
- 1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate bar chopped
- Beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form (freeze whisk and metal bowl for 10 minutes for a quicker process). Add condensed milk, vanilla, salt, and cocoa powder and mix until well incorporated.2 Cups heavy whipping cream, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 Cup dutch processed Cocoa powder
- Fold the chopped chocolate with a rubber spatula until evenly spread throughout the ice cream1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate bar
- Place the mixture in an airtight container or a pan, sprinkle with more chopped chocolate, cover and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.