Easy, crunchy and delicious, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats are a twist from your classic Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
The cereal layer is made with marshmallows and peanut butter, and the top layer has chocolate and sea salt, the combo is amazing!
Ingredients you’ll need for for these no-bake treats
This recipe needs a handful of simple ingredients, found in any grocery store:
1. Unsalted Butter. The unsalted butter serves as the primary fat source in the recipe. When melted and combined with marshmallows, it helps bind the ingredients together and provides a rich, buttery flavor to the treats.
2. Marshmallows. Marshmallows are essential for creating the chewy texture and sweetness of the treats. When melted, they act as a sticky binder, holding the Rice Krispies cereal together. Mini marshmallows can also be added for extra pockets of gooey sweetness throughout the treats.
3. Peanut Butter. Peanut butter adds a creamy and nutty flavor to the treats. It also contributes to the binding process, helping to hold the ingredients together. I used smooth peanut butter for this easy recipe, but feel free to use chunky peanut butter or natural peanut butter
4. Rice Krispies Cereal. Rice Krispies cereal is the key ingredient that provides the crunchy texture to this crispy treats. The air-filled rice cereal pieces maintain their structure even when combined with the sticky marshmallow mixture, creating a contrast in texture. Any crispy rice cereal will do.
5. Milk Chocolate and Semi-Sweet Chocolate. Both milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate are used to create a chocolatey layer on top of the treats. Milk chocolate brings a sweeter and creamier flavor, while semi-sweet chocolate adds a slightly deeper and more intense chocolate taste. These chocolates provide an amazing contrast to the sweet and chewy base of the treats.
6. Sea Salt. Flaky sea salt is used to balance out the sweetness of the treats and enhance the overall flavor profile. The saltiness helps cut through the richness of the butter, marshmallows, and chocolate, creating a more well-rounded taste experience.
Take a look at the recipe card below for the complete recipe.
How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Start by preparing your pan, by covering the bottom and sides of a 9x13x2 in pan with parchment paper. You can also spray the sides and bottom of the pan with cooking spray.
Combine butter and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave -or use the stove top- until butter melts and marshmallow mixture is smooth, about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the creamy peanut butter and mix well. Add the cereal and combine until well coated.
Press the peanut butter mixture in your prepared pan with waxed paper -to prevent from sticking in your hands- until well distributed
Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, in 15 second increments until you can whisk it together. When the melted chocolate is cool to touch, top the cereal mixture in an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and cut into even squares.
How to store these cereal treats
These can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container, at room temperature.
You can also freeze them for up to 6 months. Just place the cut and cooled squares in an air tight container, adding wax paper between each layer.
Troubleshooting and solutions for these Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars
When making Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats, there are a few potential troubleshooting scenarios that you might have. Here are some common issues and their solutions.
Treats are Too Hard or Dry:
- Issue: If your treats turn out too hard or dry, it’s possible that you cooked the butter and marshmallow mixture for too long or at too high a heat.
- Solution: Be careful not to overcook the mixture. Once the marshmallows have melted and the mixture is smooth, remove it from the heat quickly. This will ensure that the treats will stay soft and chewy.
Treats are Too Soft or Sticky:
- Issue: If your treats are too soft or sticky, you might have added too many marshmallows or not enough Rice Krispies cereal.
- Solution: Make sure to measure the ingredients correctly. If your treats are too sticky, you can try adding a bit more cereal. Alternatively, you can refrigerate the treats for a short time to help them firm up.
Ingredients Aren’t Mixing Properly:
- Issue: Sometimes, when combining the melted ingredients with the cereal, they might not mix evenly, resulting in clumps or uneven distribution.
- Solution: When adding the cereal to the melted marshmallow mixture, work quickly but gently. Stir and fold the mixture until the cereal is evenly coated. You can also lightly grease the spatula or your hands to prevent sticking.
Chocolate Doesn’t Melt Properly:
- Issue: If your chocolate doesn’t melt smoothly, it might become lumpy or seize up.
- Solution: When melting chocolate, use a gentle heat, either a double boiler or short bursts in the microwave, stirring frequently. Avoid getting any water into the chocolate, as this can cause it to seize. If your chocolate seizes, you might be able to salvage it by adding a bit of vegetable oil, coconut oil or butter and stirring until it becomes smooth again.
- Can I make these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats Gluten Free?
Even though Rice Krispies Cereal is made of rice, it’s also made with malt, which comes from barley and may contain gluten.
To make these gluten free, just swap the cereal for a gluten free version.
- Can I make Rice Krispie treats the night before?
Although these chocolate peanut butter treats are better enjoyed the same day they are prepared, they can definitely be made the day before.
They can be stored for up to 3 days, just make sure you place them in an airtight container and away from any heat sources for maximum freshness.
- How do you cut Rice Krispie treats cleanly?
To cut this gooey treat cleanly, remove them from the pan and place them in a cutting board. Use a very sharp knife sprayed with cooking spray and cut them in even sizes.
- How to make Rice Krispie treats without a mess?
You can always make your krispy treats in a cupcake or muffin tin instead of a square pan. Just make sure to spray your cupcake or muffin tin with cooking spray and press your mixture tightly using a rubber spatula or your fingers with waxed paper.
After mixture is set, take it out of the tin and drizzle with chocolate
Some more recipes you might like:
- Healthier Pumpkin Seed Chocolate bars
- Brown Butter chocolate chips Rice Krispies treats
- Brown butter Easter cookie bars
- Dairy Free tahini brownies with tahini ganache
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sweetfixbaker to see all the desserts you make!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Package 10 oz – 280 g marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies 150 g
- ¾ cup milk chocolate 125 g
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate 125 g
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Sea Salt
- Cover the bottom and sides of a 9x13x2 in pan with parchment paper and set aside
- Combine butter and marshmallows and microwave until smooth, about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peanut butter and mix well. Add the cereal and combine until well coated.
- Press mixture on pan with waxed paper -to prevent from sticking in your hands- until well distributed
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, in 15 second increments until you can whisk it together. When the chocolate is cool to touch, coat the cereal mixture evenly with the melted chocolate. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and cut into even squares.