This Chocolate Ricotta cheesecake is super creamy and moist, with a deep chocolate flavor. It’s spongier than your normal cheesecake due to the Ricotta, and it makes it so special!
Using Ricotta in this recipe
Instead of your usual cheesecake, this chocolate cheesecake uses Bellwether Farms whole milk basket Ricotta. It has a pillowy and soft consistency, and it’s used in many Italian cheesecake recipes.
To retain the creamy texture, I combined the ricotta with Bellwether Farms Creme Fraiche, an award-winning French-style cultured cream with a creamy and tart flavor.
I was surprised with its richness and how luscious it was! you can try swapping any recipe that calls for sour cream with it for a whole new depth and flavor.
Thanks to Bellwether Farms for sponsoring this post! all thoughts and opinions are my own
Tips and Tricks for making the perfect cheesecake
First, for this cheesecake you’ll need to drain your Ricotta overnight. To do this, line a strainer or colander with paper towels and place it over a bowl to catch the liquid. The strainer shouldn’t be touching the base of the bowl.
Next, spoon your ricotta on top, cover it with a paper towel and place something heavy on top (any can or jar should work).
Lastly, refrigerate overnight while draining and let come at room temperature before making your cheesecake.
Ingredients at room temperature:
Let ingredients sit out for 2 hours to let them come at room temperature. This includes your ricotta, creme fraiche and eggs.
Also, if you’re in a rush, submerge your eggs in warm water and it will help speed the process.
Don’t rush it!
To prevent cheesecake from cracking, you will need to bake it in low temperature for a very long time, be patient!
What to do?
Extreme changes in temperature could cause cracks on your cheesecake. For that reason, after your cheesecake is baked, turn off your oven and use a wooden spoon to leave the door slightly ajar.
Second, let your cheesecake cool for one hour inside the oven, then take it out and let it cool for one more hour over a wire rack.
Next, cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. If your cheesecake still ends with cracks, don’t worry! they’ll be covered with ganache later.
Lastly, top it with any seasonal fruit at hand and for cleaner slices, run warm water over a sharp knife and cut. Repeat this process for each slice. Tedious but so worth it!
Here are some more Cheesecake recipes:
If you’re looking for more cheesecake recipes click here!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment!
Chocolate Ricotta Cheesecake
- 28 chocolate sandwich cookies with filling crushed
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 24 ounces Bellwether Farms whole milk basket ricotta drained overnight and at room temperature
- 10 ounces Bellwether Farms Creme Fraiche room temperature
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 8 ounces 230 g 70% dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 2 Cups fresh fruit for garnish
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips I used 60%
- Pre-heat oven to 325 F. Line the bottom of a 10-in springform pan with parchment paper and set aside
- Mix crushed cookies and butter and press into the bottom of your prepared pan; bake for 10 minutes and set aside
- On medium speed, mix ricotta, creme fraiche, sugar, vanilla and flour until well combined (about 2 minutes). Add melted chocolate and mix
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating in low just until blended (do not over beat)
- Pour batter over pan. Place a 9×13 inch pan filled with water and place it on the lowest oven rack
- Place your cheesecake on the middle rack and bake for 2 hours. Turn off the oven and leave your cheesecake for one hour to cool inside, with the oven door slightly ajar (you can place a wooden spoon or something similar to keep it open)
- Place over a wire rack, run a knife around the rim to loosen it (leaving the rim on) and let it come to room temperature for one more hour
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove rim
- For your ganache, place all your ingredients in the top of a double broiler with simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth. Pour over your cooled cheesecake and top with fruit