These are the easiest cookies ever! super simple and quick to make.
The cranberries and dark chocolate give them an amazing depth of flavor, but you can also skip them for a plain cookie or swap them for any other different flavor of your choice.
You can even make the dough, split it in half and add different add-ons to each!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- Melted chocolate to decorate (optional)
What is the difference between shortbread cookies, butter cookies and sugar cookies?
Shortbread cookies are Scottish cookies made mainly from one part sugar, two parts butter and 3 to 4 parts flour, and don’t contain any leavening agents. They have a very short list of ingredients and are generally easy to make.
They have a higher ratio of butter to flour, and are generally baked in lower temperatures. Their texture is lighter and crumblier.
Butter Cookies, like shortbread cookies, have a higher butter proportion, but they also have more sugar and flour. For this reason, butter cookies will hold their shape better than shortbread cookies.
From the 3 types of cookies, Sugar cookies are the ones that hold their shape better. They are denser and have a higher ratio of flour to fat.
They contain baking soda or baking powder as leavening agents, and their ingredient list is longer than that of shortbread cookies. A couple of my favorites are my Sugar cookie bars with cream cheese frosting and my Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies
Note: If you are not using a cookie cutter you can even skip the freezing process, but your cookies will spread more and won’t hold their shape as well.
Click here for more cookie recipes!
And here are some other Cookie recipes you might like:
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sweetfixbaker to see all the recipes you make!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment!
Dark Chocolate Cranberry Shortbread Cookies
- 1 Cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 Cup dried cranberries roughly chopped
- Melted chocolate to decorate optional
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- Mix butter, flour, sugar, salt and vanilla until mixture looks like wet sand, and try not to overwork it. It should clump together when pressed
- Remove from mixing bowl and incorporate chocolate and cranberries while kneading your mix together; mix them in evenly, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 45 minutes
- Dust your roller pin and roll over a parchment paper to 1/4” thickness; cut cookies, place them on your prepared sheets and freeze for 15 minutes. In the meantime, pre-heat your oven to 320 f
- Bake your cookies for 15-17 min and place on a wire rack to cool completely
- Dip your cookies in dark chocolate and let them set before serving