No ice cream machine is needed for this soft and creamy Dulce de Leche Coffee Ice Cream. With very few ingredients, this ice cream is easy peasy, super soft and with gooey dulce de leche swirls that will have you going for seconds
What does No-Churn mean?
No-Churn ice cream means there’s no need to use an ice cream machine to make your ice cream creamy, you normally use sweetened condensed milk and whipped cream as a base to obtain the creaminess after frozen. This makes it convenient, easy and quick to make; In this recipe I use Dulce de Leche instead, which is basically the same.
What is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de Leche (translation: candy made from milk) is made by slowly heating sweetened condensed milk; it’s a thick and creamy caramel-like sauce that you will be wanting to eat by the spoon, and it pairs amazingly with coffee! you can buy it in the supermaket, or you can also make it, it has only one ingredient and it’s super simple. If you feel like making your own, here’s an easy recipe you can follow: Homemade Dulce de Leche
The difference between Dulce de Leche and Cajeta? Dulce de Leche is made with cow’s milk, while mexican cajeta is made with goat’s milk. Feel free to use either for this recipe, the results will be the same, a creamy and sweet ice cream, with the perfect hint of coffee flavor.
What are the ingredients in this Dulce de Leche Coffee Ice Cream?
- Full fat heavy whipping cream, chilled for better whipping
- Granulated sugar
- Full fat milk
- Instant coffee granules
- Dulce de Leche, either store bought (I like La Lechera Dulce de Leche, not an add!) or homemade; you can make it ahead of time and store it in your fridge for up to 3 weeks (recipe here)
- Good quality vanilla extract
How to make No-churn Ice Cream?
To make no-churn ice cream you’ll need first to whip your heavy cream until stiff peaks form; this will help getting some air in your ice cream making it softer after frozen. Mix in your dulce de leche, milk and coffee, vanilla and salt until just combined.
After your base is finished, pour into a freezable container; metallic ones will help your ice cream freeze faster, but any will do. Cover and freeze for one hour, then add your remaining dulce de leche and swirl on top, cover and freeze for at least 3 more hours or overnight.
Before serving your ice cream, let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature, wet an ice cream scoop and serve! This homemade no-churn ice cream will last for months on your freezer.
Some other no-churn ice cream recipes:
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sweetfixbaker to see your amazing creations!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment!
No-Churn Dulce de Leche Coffee Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 Cup full fat milk
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 can dulce de leche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve the coffee granules on the milk and set aside
- Whip your heavy cream and sugar with a whip attachment until stiff peaks form. Add 3/4 of your dulce de leche (the rest will be used for swirling on top), milk with coffee, vanilla extract and salt and mix until just combined
- Place your mixture in a loaf pan or freezable container, cover and freeze for 1 hour. Remove from freezer and pour your remaining dulce de leche on top, making swirls with a knife, cover and freeze for an additional 3 hours or overnight. Enjoy!