Crunchy and sweet meringue nests with Mango and Pomegranate filled with creamy and tangy cheese filling. These are seriously one of my favorite meringue desserts so far! the creaminess, tanginess, as well as crunchiness combined makes for an unbeatable combo!
These are made with Lifeway Farmer Cheese, a reduced-fat, low-calorie cultured soft cheese packed with 12 live and active probiotics.
Additionally, It’s 99% lactose free (Shout-out to all those lactose intolerant people like me out there!), it’s high in calcium and it has 13 g of protein per serving. Pretty impressive right? plus it tastes amazing!
This post is sponsored by Lifeway Kefir. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Sweet Fix Baker possible! all thoughts and opinions are my own
Tips and Tricks
Make meringue ahead of time:
You can go ahead and make your meringue nests ahead of time, as long as they’re stored in an air tight container and at room temperature. Look for the coolest place in your kitchen -with no sun- to store them, and they could last for up to three weeks.
For more tips on how to make the perfect meringues, follow this link
Assemble at the last minute:
Right before you serve your meringue nests, fill them with your cheese filling, top them with mango and pomegranate and serve them immediately, otherwise you’ll end up with soft meringues instead of crunchy ones.
Try using your fruits as freshly cut as possible -specially for mango- in order to have a fresher, better look
If you had leftover meringue and cheese filling, store them separately. Store meringues in an air-tight container at room temperature and store your filling refrigerated. Assemble right before serving
- Egg whites: These will be used for your meringues, so make sure you have only egg whites and no traces of yolks. Bring them to room temperature 30 minutes before beating
- Cream of Tartar: it will help stabilize your egg whites
- Powdered sugar: to sweeten your meringues; make sure you don’t use granulated sugar
- Heavy whipping cream: chilled, for better stabilization
- Lifeway Farmer Cheese: This is the base of your filling; make sure it’s plain and unsalted
- Sour Cream: will help give tanginess to your filling
- Granulated sugar: to sweeten your filling
- Vanilla extract: not only compliments your flavors, but also gives aroma
- Salt: it will enhance and balance your flavors
- Lemon juice and zest: balances the sweetness in your dessert
Meringue Nests with Mango and Pomegranate
- 4 egg whites room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 C heavy whipping cream chilled
- 1 package Lifeway Natural Farmer Cheese 455 g / 16 oz
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 Mangoes in cubes
- 1 Pomegranate seeded
- Pre-heat oven to 200 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Clean your bowl and whisk attachment with half a lemon, rinse and dry completely
- With your whisk attachment, beat your egg whites on medium speed until foamy; add cream of tartar and continue to whisk until soft peaks form
- While mixer is still running add sugar, 1 spoon at a time, and turn up speed to med-high; the slower you add your sugar, the better it will dissolve with the egg whites, so go very slowly! keep whisking until stiff peaks form and your meringue looks glossy. This process should take around 8-10 minutes
- Use a pastry bag to pipe your baskets carefully on top of your prepared baking sheets; do not squeeze your piping bag to tightly, so your meringue doesn't deflate
- Place on the lower part of your oven and bake for 2-3 hours or until your meringues are completely dry. Do not leave your oven light on, or it could brown your meringues. Turn off your oven and without removing them, let them cool completely, for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Start by whipping your cream, until stiff peaks form. Set aside
- On a food processor, mix Lifeway Farmers Cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, lime juice and zest, until no lumps are visible. Fold in your whipped cream until fully incorporated
- Just before serving, pipe your filling inside your meringue nests and top them with your mango and pomegranate
- Serve immediately!