This Kefir Ice cream with a blueberry and basil swirl sounds complicated, but it couldn’t be any simpler! With only four ingredients, it’s not only easy, but incredibly original and delicious.
The base of the Ice Cream is made with Lifeway Kefir, which is 99% Lactose Free, making this Ice cream a perfect option for all the lactose intolerant people out there.
This post is sponsored by Lifeway Kefir. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Sweet Fix Baker possible! all thoughts and opinions are my own
What is Lifeway Kefir?
Lifeway Kefir is an all-natural probiotic drink made by fermenting milk; it’s lactose-intolerance friendly, high in protein, calcium and Vitamin D. Additionally, it’s full of Kefir cultures, which give each cup of Kefir 12 live and active cultures.
Some of the health benefits associated with probiotics are: supporting immunity, a healthy digestive system, reduction in hunger cravings, increasing satiety and a high protein content. If you want to read more about this, you can find more detailed information here.
What you’ll need
This is a super simple Ice cream recipe, with only four ingredients; before you start making it, you’ll need to plan and prepare ahead of time for better results.
First, this ice cream is a churn Ice Cream, which means you’ll need an ice cream maker; like with any churn ice cream, texture will be better than a no-churn ice cream recipe because of air incorporation and also the slow freezing process that allows millions of tiny crystals to form, instead of clusters that could potentially make your ice cream harder. Make sure to freeze your ice cream bowl for at least 6 hours before using!
For your blueberry basil swirl, combine all your ingredients over a medium-sized sauce pan and start cooking on medium heat; your blueberries will start to pop and all juices will be released. To finish, blend all your ingredients together and place your sauce in a heat proof container.
You will also need to cool your blueberry basil swirl before adding it to your ice cream; you could either make it ahead of time and refrigerate it, or you could start by doing your swirl and placing it covered in the freezer while making the rest of your Ice cream, just make sure it’s completely cooled before swirling your ice cream with it.
For the base of your Ice Cream you’ll only need Kefir and sugar; make sure that all sugar is dissolved before churning.
When your Ice Cream is churned and it has a soft serve consistency, place half of your Kefir ice cream in a freezable container, add half of your blueberry basil sauce in tablespoon sized dollops, swirl with a butter knife, place the other half of your ice cream on top of it very carefully so you don’t mix in your swirls, add your remaining blueberry basil reduction and swirl again. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
There are only 4 ingredients for this Kefir Ice Cream:
Granulated sugar, for your Kefir Ice Cream base and for your Blueberry and Basil swirl
Blueberries, you can use either fresh or frozen
Fresh basil leaves
I guarantee you will love this Ice Cream recipe! it’s a crowd-pleaser and healthier than your store bought counterpart. For other ice cream recipes and frozen treats click here.
Kefir Ice Cream with Blueberry & Basil Swirl
Blueberry & basil swirl
- 1 Cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 3 Tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Kefir Ice cream
- 3 Cups Plain Organic Grassfed Lifeway Kefir chilled
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- Make sure the ice cream bowl of your ice cream maker is completely frozen (at least 6 hours in the freezer)
- Over a medium-sized sauce pan in medium heat, combine your blueberries, basil and sugar. Blueberries will start popping and releasing their juices, let them simmer until all blueberries are soft and sugar is dissolved, around 2-5 minutes
- Blend your blueberry mix and refrigerate. It needs to be completely cooled before swirling your ice cream with it
- Mix kefir and granulated sugar, until all sugar granules are dissolved. Churn with your ice cream maker for 20 minutes or according to manufacturer’s directions, until the mixture has the consistency of soft serve
- Place half of your Kefir ice cream in a freezable container, add 5-6 dollops the size of a tablespoon on top and swirl with a butter knife; carefully, to avoid mixing, place your remaining ice cream and add 6 dollops of blueberry-basil sauce on top, swirling with your butter knife
- Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours. Before serving, leave at room temperature for 5 minutes