Valentines Tag Cookies
These Valentines tag cookies are super simple to make, there’s no need to refrigerate the dough; they are soft and not-so-sweet, and hold their shape pretty well!
I made the letters and hearts with stamps, but feel free to leave them blank or pipe them with royal icing, either way they look amazing.
Why do cookies get hard?
Over time, cookies -and any baked good for that matter- loose moisture and become hard and crumbly.
To slow things up and to keep fresh cookies for a longer period of time, you have to make sure they’re well stored, in an air tight container, so they loose as little moisture as possible.
If you have too many, you can also freeze them for up to 6 months.
How long can you keep homemade cookies?
Homemade cookies can be kept in an air tight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks. If stored in the refrigerator, they could last up to 2 months if stored properly.
Lastly, cookies will last 6 months when frozen.
Cookies without baking soda or baking powder
Cookies without any baking soda or baking powder tend to be denser cookies.
These Valentines Tag cookies are soft and not that airy. They do not break that easily, which was the intent while making these.
These were meant as gifts, so they will be moving from one place to another, and will be less likely to break in the process.
How to know when cookies are done?
Look for golden edges. Cookies tend to be done when soft in the middle and golden -or darker- on the edges.
Remember that cookies keep baking on the sheet when out of the oven, so you can take them out when slightly brown, but when they still hold their shape.
Over baked cookies will be dryer and crunchier.
Follow this link for more cookie recipes, or for some Valentines dessert recipes inspo click here. Follow the links below to see some of my favorites:
Funfetti Sandwich Cookies with Raspberry filling
Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sweetfixbaker to see your amazing creations!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment!
Valentines Tag Cookies
- 2 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 Cup unsalted butter cut in pieces at room temperature
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 Cup white candy melts
- Mix all ingredients in medium speed, until just combined
- Pre-heat oven to 350 f. Cover your rolling pin and working surface with a bit of flour; roll the dough to aprox 5 mm thickness, cut your cookies and stamp them with hearts and letters
- Place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-11 mins; remove from the oven and let cool completely over a wire rack
- Melt your candy melts; dip the sides of your cookie and immediately cover with sprinkles. Let set before stacking