Classic Rice Krispies Treats taken to the next level! the secret weapon? brown butter and caramelized marshmallows! and in the middle, a layer of melted dark chocolate chunks. These brown butter chocolate chip Rice Krispies Treats will become your favorite treats in no time!
What is Brown Butter?
Also known as beurre noisette (hazelnut butter) or liquid gold, brown butter is butter that’s been cooked past its melting point until solids separate. It’s the secret weapon for many savory and sweet dishes! it’s simple enough to make, only one ingredient and will ramp up any dish.
Even though beurre noisette sounds intimidating, it’s super simple to make. You’ll need a light colored pot so you can see more clearly the change of color while the butter cooks; keep a close eye, brown butter burns quickly!
You’ll have to stir or swirl the pan constantly to prevent the milk solids sticking to the bottom of the pan. Your butter will start to boil and foam, and slowly start to change to a darker color and smell nutty and fragrant.
Keep a close eye, it could burn very easily! When reaching desired color, add marshmallows and vanilla extract.
How to make Caramelized Marshmallows
This is pretty straight forward, just cook your marshmallows until they turn a lighter brown color, stirring constantly.
Do not let them turn to a darker brown or your Brown Butter Chocolate chip Treats will turn very hard! for a color guide take a look at my video tutorial below.
Ingredients for these Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Rice Krispies Treats
Butter: make sure it’s salted butter, if you only have unsalted at hand, add 1/8 tsp salt
Marshmallows: use fresh marshmallows, old marshmallows won’t melt as well!
Rice cereal: any brand will do! Alternatively, try swapping it for any non sugary cereal like corn flakes and it should work as well
Vanilla extract: the better the quality, the better the flavor
Chocolate Chunks: look for dark chocolate, it balances the sweetness! I liked using big chocolate chunks, however feel free to use normal sized chocolate chips
And last but not least, cut your treats after chocolate is set, or it could ooze out while cutting.
There’s a video tutorial below if you need to see more specifically the colors for your butter and melted marshmallows, and the steps, as well as the recipe.
Looking for more bar recipes? follow this link
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sweetfixbaker to see all the recipes you make!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Rice Krispies Treats
- 1/2 C salted butter cut into evenly sized pieces
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 C Rice Krispies cereal or similar
- 2/3 C dark chocolate chunks
- Prepare the bottom and sides of an 8×8 in square pan with parchment paper, set aside
- Over a light colored sauce pan or pot, start melting your butter in low heat; turn your heat to medium, -stir or swirl the pan constantly- your butter will start to boil and foam, then it will start to darken and smell nutty and fragrant. Keep a close eye, it could burn very easily! When reaching desired color, add marshmallows and vanilla extract
- Mix marshmallows until completely melted, stirring constantly; when mixture turns to a light brown color, pour over cereal and mix until cereal is completely covered
- Place half of the mixture in your prepared baking pan; wet your fingers with water and and press firmly until you have an even layer. Distribute 1/2 cup chocolate chunks evenly, then press your remaining cereal mixture on top
- Let it cool a bit (enough so that your chocolate chunks don’t melt) and press your remaining chocolate chunks on top. Let cool completely and cut into even squares (Video below!)