Matcha Latte Recipe with Almond milk
This delicious Matcha Latte recipe is made with almond milk for a dairy free option. Its slightly sweet, foamy and with a creamy texture. It’s the perfect alternative when looking for a delicious and original drink!
Matcha is a form of green tea powder made from dried green tea leaves. It contains less caffeine per ounce than coffee, and it’s becoming more and more popular around the world because of its health benefits.
After this, you’ll be able to make your own matcha lattes at home without the need to go to a coffee shop! its simple and quick, with only a few ingredients.
Does Matcha work with almond milk?
Matcha latte is a great alternative to coffee, specially if you’re looking to lower your caffeine intake; when prepared with almond milk, it’s an amazing dairy free option too!
What do you sweeten matcha latte with?
This recipe is sweetened with honey, but you can also use maple syrup, agave syrup, granulated sugar, coconut sugar, brown sugar or any sugar substitute of your choice.
Ingredients you’ll need for this Hot matcha latte
This recipe calls only for 3 simple ingredients:
- Matcha Powder. I recommend using ceremonial grade matcha powder. Because you only have 3 ingredients, the quality of your matcha is important
- Honey. Use any syrup of your choice. You can adjust the quantity of the honey depending on how sweet you want it to be
- Almond milk. I used unsweetened almond milk, to be able to control the sweetness of my drink entirely. You can also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, oat milk or any milk of choice
Equipment for making this vegan matcha latte
I made this matcha tea latte without any special equipment, just what I had on hand:
- A matcha whisk is used by matcha purists for a lump free matcha mixture and smoother consistency. I found that using a regular small whisk works as well, no lumps!
- A flat bottomed bowl or a cup with a flat bottom to facilitate whisking
- Small sifter, to avoid any lumps
- A milk frother is optional, to create that nice foamy top for your matcha. I used an electric milk frother
The ratio (matcha to water to milk)
The ratio for this recipe is 1 teaspoon matcha, 1 tablespoon water and 3/4 cup of almond milk. This makes neither a too strong or too weak matcha latte.
Just follow this ratio to double or triple your recipe!
How to make Matcha Latte recipe with Almond milk
Sift 1 teaspoon matcha powder into your cup or bowl, until you can see fine powder at the bottom.
Add a small amount of water (1 tablespoon warm water) and start mixing with your whisk. Traditionally, you should move the bamboo whisk in W motions, but I did a circular motion with my regular whisk and worked as well. You should have somewhat a small amount of matcha paste. Add honey.
Divide your 3/4 cup of almond milk in two separate bowls. Warm one of them and use your frother to froth the other one.
Pour the hot almond milk into your matcha mixture and mix until everything is well combined and you have a cup filled of vibrant green color liquid. Heat the frothed almond milk and pour it on top. Enjoy!
For an iced matcha latte, just pour your drink into a tall glass, add ice and enjoy cold.
Expert tips for the perfect matcha drink
- Froth your milk while still cold. I did this both with warm almond milk and cold almond milk, and when cold, almond milk froths way better and faster. Once you have it frothed and ready, heat it before adding it to your drink
- Use warm water instead of boiling water when mixing it with your matcha. Boiling water will burn your matcha powder and cause a bitter aftertaste
- Remember, the quality of your matcha matters, specially in this recipe where you only have 3 ingredients. Try using ceremonial grade matcha.
Here’s a video of this Matcha Latte Recipe with almond milk so you can see up-close this drink.
Follow the links below for more drink recipes:
Starbucks Green Tea lemonade Recipe
Healthier Hot Chocolate Recipe
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a star rating and leave a comment below!