This quick and easy cinnamon spice oatmeal recipe is the perfect healthy breakfast, that can be made ahead of time for those hectic school mornings.
This homemade oatmeal has all the warm spices for the winter months to come, and it’s a great way to start your day. It’s the homemade version of the packets of instant oatmeal, but without the high sugar content and artificial flavor.
Is Cinnamon Spice oatmeal healthy?
This oatmeal recipe is sweetened with pure maple syrup instead of any processed sugars, which makes it refined sugar free.
Also, oats are linked to some health benefits, like helping slow digestion, increase satiety and suppress appetite. All great advantages of starting your day with a bowl of oatmeal!
It’s also linked to helping reduce the effects of chronic inflammation. Plus, there are also studies that suggest that oats may reduce the risk of heart disease (Harvard.edu).
As long as you don’t pack your oatmeal with processed sugars, and you add healthy toppings -like nuts packed with healthy fats and fresh fruit- you’ll have a perfectly healthy and easy breakfast in your hands.
On the other hand, the store-bought instant oatmeal packets are sometimes loaded with sugars and artificial flavors. For this reason, this homemade oatmeal recipe is a better option for you!
Why you’ll love this Oatmeal recipe
- This oatmeal recipe is super quick and easy to make! it’s prepared in 15 minutes total time, and can be eaten right away
- It’s a healthy way to start your day. It’s refined sugar free and packed with fiber
- It’s super versatile, you can add more toppings or change them completely for a different flavor
- According to Harvard.edu, Oats have been proposed to have some health benefits like helping slow digestion, increase satiety, and suppress appetite. They’re also linked to helping reduce the damaging effects of chronic inflammation and are associated with reducing the risk of heart disease
- It can be made ahead of time, for a grab-and-go, quick and healthy breakfast
Ingredients you’ll need to make this Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal recipe
This recipe uses very simple ingredients:
- Quick oats. I used quick oats (natural flavor) to make it a super fast recipe to prepare, but you can also use old fashioned oats instead, just make sure to leave the oats soaking in the milk and spices overnight
- Milk of choice. I used almond milk, but you can use regular milk, coconut milk, soy milk or any non-dairy milk of your choice for a vegan oatmeal option
- Cinnamon and All-spice. These give that spicy and warm flavor to the oatmeal
- Pure maple syrup. Instead of cane sugar, for less sugar and a healthier option to sweeten your bowl of oatmeal
- Vanilla extract. Good quality pure vanilla extract goes a long way
- Banana and raw walnuts. I used these as toppings, but feel free to substitute with any of your favorite nuts, like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds or fresh fruit like fresh apples
How to make this easy oatmeal recipe
In a medium-sized container, combine instant oats, milk, 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, all spice, pure maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix everything until well combined.
Fill your bowl with the prepared oatmeal. Add the walnuts and banana slices -or any toppings of your choice- and enjoy!
If you want the oatmeal warm, just heat the milk in a medium microwave-safe bowl or heat on a medium saucepan, on your stove top on medium heat, until warm enough. Then, pour on top of the rest of the ingredients and mix.
How to store
Store this oatmeal in an airtight container in the fridge.
Oatmeal could dry out in the refrigerator. If you’re eating it the next day, just add a splash of milk to your bowl and mix before eating
Here’s a video of this cinnamon spice oatmeal recipe so you can see up-close texture and consistency.
Follow this link for more delicious recipes, or follow the links below for some of my favorite recipes using oatmeal:
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a star rating and leave a comment!
Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal Recipe
- 2 Cups Quick oats
- 3 Cups milk of choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all-spice
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toppings: Walnuts and sliced bananas
- In a medium-sized container, combine instant oats, milk, ground cinnamon, all spice, pure maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix until everything is well combined.
- Fill your bowl with the prepared oatmeal, add the walnuts and banana slices -or any toppings of your choice- and enjoy!
- If you want the oatmeal warm, just heat the milk in a medium microwave-safe bowl or heat on a medium saucepan, on your stove top on medium heat, until warm enough. Then, pour on top of the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Store this oatmeal in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Oatmeal could dry out in the refrigerator, so if you're eating it the next day, just add a splash of milk to your bowl and mix before eating